Nigeria threaten Toon action

| December 27, 2012 | 0 Comments

Nigeria will push for FIFA sanctions against Newcastle if they fail to release striker Shola Ameobi for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.

————————————————————

Predict the result and win big with Soccer6

————————————————————

The 31-year-old previously represented England at under-21 level, but switched allegiances to the country of his birth in November 2011, making his Super Eagles debut last month against Venezuela.

However, Magpies boss Alan Pardew has told the press that Ameobi will not be participating in the continental competition in South Africa next month.

And according to Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi, who spoke to the player on Tuesday night, there is a clause in Ameobi’s contract which complicates matters.

Keshi told MTNFootball: “I spoke with Shola Ameobi last night (Tuesday) and he said his coach did not speak with him even before going to the press.

“But apparently, there is a clause he signed in his contract two years ago that he would not dump the team for the Nations Cup. And that is what his coach is holding on to right now.

“But Shola has said he would speak with the coach after their game today (Wednesday) against Manchester United and get back to me.

“I must confess that with this latest revelation from Shola we are in a tight corner more so that the club is uncertain of the future of Demba Ba.”

Millwall defender Danny Shittu is another who is expected to snub an AFCON call-up from the west African giants

Nigeria Football Federation board member Chris Green insists they are prepared to take all the necessary steps to unsure that clubs adhere to the rules.

Green told BBC Sport: “These clubs are not only disrespecting Nigeria but FIFA and CAF (Confederation of African Football) as well.

“The rules are clear on international games approved by FIFA so we consider these comments (by Newcastle and Millwall) as not only ridiculous but totally disrespectful.

“We know the rules. FIFA has made it clear that these clubs will not be able to use these players for the duration of the Nations Cup plus an additional five days.

“We will further push for additional sanctions – we understand these clubs employ our players but they are also international footballers. Rules are rules. Newcastle and Millwall must understand the basics why they exist.”


Culled from :Here

We enjoin our readers to send their stories/articles/reports, including pictures to story@riversstatenews.com

Comments

comments

Category: Sports